1.11.05

A new plan

As you can see, I'm missing writing night again. Oh well. I'm not abandoning it yet - that's not the new plan. I just won't beat myself up about it if it doesn't happen.

The new plan is one of financial responsibility and a little bit of a trial for myself. I'm allowed as much overtime as I'm willing to take at work, and while I usually end up with 5 or 6 hours by the end of the week, I'm thinking about taking more - a lot more. Kim already puts in 50-60 hours a week at work, and that's just because her job needs it - she doesn't get paid any more. I've never had to work two jobs or long hours, and during college I pretty much slacked, racking up debt so I could coast while in school. I've since felt like I took it too easy - it's one of those minor regrets like not serving in the Armed Forces or volunteering in some other way. Anyway, this is the perfect time to catch up financially and do a little nose-grinding so I have it under my belt and know I can do it - I don't have to manage a second job, and since all the hours are overtime, the pay is actually really good.

My plan is to work every hour the office is open - 8am to 8pm every day, and through lunch. Of course it sounds crazy, but I reckon most of the people reading this have put in whacko hours like that and know they can hang if they have to. I don't have to, but I want to. I'm hoping to pay off two credit cards in under six months, and possibly save enough to pay for a significant chunk of the wedding, so it won't go back on the credit cards.

It's not a long-term plan, but if I can stick to it for 6-9 months and keep up the quality of my work through the long hours, I'm hoping the extra exposure will also lead to some kind of promotion (maybe they'll promote me more just to keep me from taking the extra overtime!)

I've already approved it with my boss (he's figured out I'm crazy), and I think it works out well because it helps them not have to hire extra staff, which they may have to otherwise.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. To paraphrase the Dread Pirate Roberts, I'll most likely give up on the idea tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 2/11/05 6:17 PM, Blogger anne said...

I do not wish those kind of hours on anyone (especially not my own brother). My suggestion: you might find you last a lot longer if you take lunch. Good Luck! Sounds like goooooood money.

 
At 4/11/05 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Anne. And definitely take weekends off. Working 12 hours a day is tough but can be done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home