24.2.06

Religion: Ex-ians

I came across this link on reddit today:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~slocks/buckner/no.html

I felt like I had a lot in common with the author. We both left Christianity after extensive reading of the Bible (actually, because of extensive reading of the Bible). I went through a lot of the same emotions he describes at this site. Most of my objections to fundamental Christianity are listed on his site.

Of course, there are things we don't have in common, too. He went further than me, into atheism, while I stopped at liberal Christianity (though that's the difference between infidelity and heresy in the old me's eyes). He was much more thorough and organized and serious in his studies than I ever was, and he went from firm entrenchment in Christianity with Church and Family. My journey was more lonely but with less resistance, and I wasn't the trailblazer.

I've read through almost all of his site, and I've seen his detractors, but most of all I'm really impressed by his consistant ability to be polite, be considerate, and to say the right thing. There are lapses into conceit and sarcasm, but in an ironic way, his enthusiasm in his new-found freedom reminds me of Paul's enthusiasm in the epistles.

I really think this is an especially good read for intelligent Christians who are interested in talking to intelligent non-Christians. I think there is a lot to be learned from honest eager apologists on both sides of the fence.

3 Comments:

At 25/2/06 6:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

i looked at this site a bit and it seemed really interesting. is it still a present day thing - it seemed like most of it was written about ten years ago..? some of the stuff on there (written by his relatives and other christian types) are just unbelievable.

 
At 25/2/06 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I looked at the site you gave out and found it interesting. I was not raised in the Christian faith (or any religious faith, for that matter)and decided to seek Christianity because I found a bible and read it. I was nineteen. I read quite extensively and all alone for almost a year. My problems began when I became part of a church and others began to tell me what I should believe. I have to tell you that when I read the bible on my own it opened my eyes to a loving and good creator. It changed my life and made me look at the world in a whole new way. I love the bible and what I have gleaned from it but I do not love what we, as seekers, do to each other. I believe the bible was written by men and that, as with the material world, the most rare and beautiful gems have to be mined. I think the bible contains spiritual gems that are real. And I think that truth is truth no matter where it comes from. This man is right about much of what he says if you see it only from his point of view. But as Einstein taught us - perspective is everything.

 
At 25/2/06 9:43 PM, Blogger Wray Davis said...

Sarah - yeah, I was surprised, too. As much as you hear of stories of Christians behaving badly, I tend to think most Christians are at least as reasonable as the next person. But his family seems to have been particularly unimpressive.

Vicki - I tend to agree with you that the Bible is all sorts of tidbits of wisdom, encouragement, and examples. I think that Jesus is a great spiritual hero, in every and the best sense of the word hero. I think that James from the website would probably agree with that point, or at least concede. But I tend to agree with him that when the Bible is treated as an instruction manual, as the final source of all answers, that people are likely to run into trouble. I guess that's one of the things that makes me a liberal Christian now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home