23.3.05

More from the Bible: Evil

The version of the Bible I'm listening to is the King James' version. Granted, the English language has changed a bit since then, but I've started noticing (again - I was noticing this before in the Pentateuch) that the term "evil" doesn't have quite the same meaning as we tend to think. Evil is not necessarily sinful or hateful or destructive, it's just bad, or unpleasant, or contrary to how they should be. For example, in Jeremiah 24, Jeremiah keeps talking about good figs and evil figs, and the evil figs are so evil, they can't be eaten. Ehh?

I think the concept that we usually think of as "Evil" is instead called "Wicked" in the King James Version. I wonder when this change happened? I wonder how realizing this might recolor earlier passages?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home