10.4.05

Weekend movie roundup

Kim and my weekend movie was William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Our consensus was that it was a good movie, and most everyone involved did an excellent job in their roles (I was a little bit reserved on Al Pacino, mostly because I don't typically care for his movies and I thought his "accent" was weak, and Kim didn't care for Kris Marshall (most famous to us for Love Actually)). The story, though was good, and gripping, as Shakespeare tends to be, and the line delivery was good in the way that lets one understand it, even though it seems almost another language. The framing of the story gave it a context that made it even easier to understand. But if anyone could explain to us why they're shooting arrows into the water at the end of the film, we'd be much obliged.

When we got back, we watched Papparazzi, which was one of our Blockbuster rentals. It was reasonably good - it might even have been really good, if the writing wasn't so weak. It wasn't that the dialogue was so bad; rather, story points were just implausible. Where was Bo's agent? What Hollywood star has such a weak security system? Eh? What? Tom Sizemore played a truly despicable character, to the point where Kim and I were thinking he must really be despicable in real life. It was a decent rental, but we're glad we didn't spend the money to see it in the theater.

Lastly, I went back and saw Constantine again, partly because I liked it so much, and partly because I heard there was a scene after the credits, which Kim and I had missed before. The movie was nearly as good the second time, though it suffered just a bit under my high expectations. Still, I plan to buy it when it hits DVD. Or at least add it to my Amazon wish list.

1 Comments:

At 13/4/05 9:44 AM, Blogger Meadow said...

Yes, yes, support Constantine!!!! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home