19.2.05

Movie Review: Constantine

I've been to a few movies since my last movie comment. I've at least seen The Wedding Date, and I'm sure there are a few others, but that's okay.

Constantine.

This is the first movie I've really been looking forward to this year (or rather, the first to come out - I'm pretty excited by Revenge of the Sith and Batman Begins). Constantine was great - great in the way that does not disappoint and even surprises, but isn't perfect, along the same lines as Hellboy or Bram Stoker's Dracula. I haven't ever read Hellraiser, so I don't know if it's true to the story or if all of its greatness is just a mishmash of excellent scenes from a larger, better story.

There were a bunch of great scenes in the movie, and only a handful are in the previews, so I won't spoil them by describing them here. I will only say I really enjoyed Lucifer and Gabriel (though the "soldier demons" weren't my favorite). Keanu Reeves was almost believable as a "hard-drinking, hard-living man", but his backstory was pretty clever. I don't think I'll be watching it again in the theater (There are still other movies to be seen out there), but when the DVD comes out, it's going on my Amazon wishlist.

2 Comments:

At 20/2/05 8:03 PM, Blogger anne said...

I liked Constantine. Thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 21/2/05 11:19 AM, Blogger Wray Davis said...

Cool! I'm glad you both liked the movie!

Your short review there is pretty incisive, and well-put. I think the dialogue's mediocrity perhaps kept Keanu's performance afloat - he seems to drown in his sincerity when things get complicated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home