2.1.05

In Review: Sideways

Kim and I wanted to finish off this movie-packed weekend with another likely Oscar nominee. Since we had Oscar parties with Todd and Cindy several years ago, we got into the habit of trying to see all or as many of the big movies as possible - all of the Best Pictures, and hopefully most of the Best Actors and Actresses and the most interesting of Supporters.

If this movie wins any of its nominations, I'll be very disappointed. I'm already disappointed that it's likely to be nominated.

I didn't hate anything about the movie, though it depressed me a bit because I overempathized with the main character. Mostly, it was just an innocuous sort of low-budget movie. The writing was okay, and the acting was okay, though I don't see why people think Virgina Madsen did such a good job.

I think I really do dislike movies that have seriously flawed main characters, especially if I'm invited to empathize with them. I'm sure that's biasing me. That definitely ruined Punch-drunk Love for me.

Even with that aside, rent Sideways if you're looking for a movie you can read a magazine through and look up every once in awhile for an interesting part. Please don't vote for it for any awards. Please. Give Man on Fire a chance.

1 Comments:

At 12/1/05 2:44 PM, Blogger PIZZA WARRIOR said...

Regarding the movie "Sideways", I was attracted to it because of being a longtime fan of actress Virginia Madsen, an infatuation that has compelled me to start my own blog dedicated to her on "Blogger".

If you are interested in seeing it let me know.

Anyway, while I must admit my affection for Virginia may have effected my feeling about her outstanding performance, to see her in anything at all after 12 years off the big screen, especially something where she can actually act, without disrobing and all, is in itself a miracle.

I do agree that this movie does leave much to be desired, because of the characters involved and the idea that it was too much a slice of life, with the 'happy ending' between Miles and Maya left hanging.

But in spite of all of its faults, this is a great film.

Or, maybe because of its faults, this is a great film.

Perhaps I want to like it because there are too few 'people films' being made anymore that I am willing to settle on anything.

Besides, Virgina Madsen is in it !!!

My blog is at www.virginiamadsen.blogspot.com

Thank you for your attention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home